TOWN MANAGER FOR THE TOWN OF AVILLA, INDIANA
The Town of Avilla is seeking applicants for the position of Town Manager. The Town of Avilla is a growing community North of the City of Fort Wayne and has a population of approximately 2400 people. The Town has a strong industrial sector and several new development projects including new single-family subdivisions, historic downtown renovations and is nearing completion of a new industrial park. The Avilla Park Board is making plans for a new community park and Restore Avilla (an affiliate of Indiana Main Street) is seeking artists for a mural project.
The Town Manager is the administrative head of the Town and, under the direct supervision of the Town Council, is primarily responsible for running the day-to-day business of the Town. The Town Manager works closely with the Superintendent for all utilities on construction projects, housing developments, project management and oversight of utility upgrades and engineering agreements. The Town Manager acts as a liaison between the Town and other governmental units, contractors, and the public at large and is responsible for public relations. The position is subject to Indiana Code 36-5-5-1, a complete job description is attached (see below download here).
The Town is looking for candidates who have experience in small town management and who are interested in making a commitment to serving the welfare of the community while advancing the policies and strategic goals of the Town Council.
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Business Management, Human Resource Management, Land Use Planning or similar field of study; or equivalent experience
• Experience in local government management
• Experience as a supervisor
• Computer skills including a background in MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel at minimum
• Ability to speak in public, and experience with making public presentations
• Ability to communicate professionally both verbally and in writing
Applicants must include a resume and cover letter and at least three professional references and will be accepted until May 31, 2023. References will not be contacted without prior notification to the candidate. Applications should be submitted to: Seth Tipton, Seth@tiptonlawllc.com.
Avilla Town Manager
The Avilla Town Manager, under the direction of the Avilla Town Council, in the interest and wellbeing of Avilla citizens and businesses, is responsible for:
1. Managing the daily operations of the Town and monthly reporting of Town Manager activities to the Town Council. Assisting Department Heads on high level basis.
2. Handles complaints and assists residents and businesses with concerns regarding the Town and town policies. Is responsible for enforcement of Avilla Ordinance violations.
3. Assisting with economic development, including recruitment of new businesses and industries and retainment of existing businesses/industries. Assisting with downtown revitalization and community development.
4. Collaborating with local, County and State agencies for economic development and tourism in the Town and County.
5. Attending all Town Council, Plan Commission, BZA and Redevelopment Commission meetings and as a member at Restore Avilla meetings.
6. Serving as staff for the Redevelopment Commission ensuring reporting requirements are met and compliance to State statutes. Prepares agendas, documents, maintains records and assists with projects for RDC.
7. Assuming the position of Zoning Administrator for Plan Commission and BZA. Reviewing plans for new subdivisions for compliance with the Avilla Subdivision Ordinance, filing legal notices, recording documents and meeting preparation for Plan Commission and BZA including agendas and record keeping. Assist with applications to change zoning districts, variances, and special use zoning for BZA.
8. Reviewing building permit applications for compliance with the Avilla Zoning Ordinance and issuing Improvement Location Permits.
9. Coordinating with Noble County Building Department for building inspections.
10. Serves as floodplain administrator, ADA coordinator, IDEM contact and as representative of the Town for other State agencies.
11. Applying, administering and closing out Community Crossings Grants and maintains Employee of Responsible Charge status to manager INDOT grants.
12. Assist outside grant administrators with grant applications through construction. May also seek, obtain and manage grant funding for Town projects.
13. Maintaining relationships with all businesses and industries including annual visits.
14. Assisting with tax abatement applications and annual reporting requirements.
15. Assisting engineering firms with plans for street and utility upgrades along with the bidding process for utility, street, building projects and vehicle purchases.
16. Compiling Asset Management Plans, Capital Asset Inventory and assists Clerk-Treasurer by providing the annual reports.
17. Attending meetings and training with regional or state organizations.
18. Attending meetings regarding Wholesale Power contracts for the electric utility.
19. Recommending adjustments to utility rates and charges.
20. Recruiting new housing developers. High level management of new housing additions development.
21. High level management of development of new industrial ground.
22. Seeking advice from Town Attorney for legal matters related to Town business and utilities.
23. Assisting employees with health insurance, short-term disability and workman’s comp claims.
24. Maintaining and recommending insurance policies for property, liability, work comp, shortterm disability and health coverage. Includes filing claims for all insurance policies.
25. Maintaining current copies of the Indiana building, plumbing, electrical, elevator, handicap accessibility codes and General Administrative Rules.
26. Maintaining a current copy of the Indiana Uniform Manual of Traffic Control Devices.
27. Maintaining OSHA safety plans. Maintaining OSHA record for accidents and sicknesses.
33. Other duties as the Town Council may determine.
Per Avilla Code of Ordinances:
…§ 31.01 TOWN MANAGER. The Town Manager of the Town of Avilla shall have the duties specified in I.C. 36-5-5-8, including but not limited to the supervision of the Utility Superintendent. Said Town Manager shall not be responsible for issues concerning the employees of the Police Department or Fire Department.
Last modified: May 4, 2023